1902
new
No fire department, H&L carts kept in village.

No public water supply. Hydrants are supplied by reservoir on hill, about 500,000 gallons capacity, owned by several residents combined. Distribution by 6" pipe.
(source: Sanborn Map Co. October 1902)

1904 The Northfield Hose Company was established. Apparatus was a Eureka Hose Cart which cost $345.50.
1905

A building was erected behind the town hall for storage of the Hose Truck. A hand pulled ladder cart is also added to the department.

1909
new

Northfield Fire Department: Volunteer, no regular company. 1 Hand Hose Reel, 1000' of 2.5" hose. 1 Hand Ladder Truck. Fire Alarm given by Church Bells.

Water Facilities: Owned by Northfield Water Co. Gravity pressure system. Reservoir of 500,000 gallons capacity situated on hill 1.5 miles east of Post Office is fed by brook. Distribution by 8,200' of 6" & 5,000' of 4" mains. Average pressure on Main Street, 92 lbs., 8 hydrants.

East Northfield
Fire Dept.: No regular Fire Department. 3 Hand Hose Reels, one each at Marquand Hall, The Auditorium & The Northfield Hotel.

Water Facilities: Water Works is owned by the east Northfield Water Co., gravity system. Reservoir of 750,000 gallons capacity is situated on hill 1 mile northeast of East Northfield Post Office, is fed by brook. Distribution by 6,000' of 8" & 3,000' of 6" mains. Pressure on Seminary Grounds 120 lbs. & about 125 lbs. on Highland Avenue. 14 hydrants.
(source: Sanborn Map Co. December 1909)

1919 Forest Fire equipment and chemical extinguishers are added to the department.
1922
new

Northfield Fire Department. Volunteer Co., 18 men. 1 Hand hose reel, 1,000' of 2.5" hose. 1 hand H&L Truck. 1 50 gallon chemical extinguisher on wheels.

Additional Volunteer Co. of 20 men at Seminary. 3 Hand hose reels at school and 1 at Northfield Hotel. 1,950' of 2.5" hose.

Water Facilities: Water Works owned by the Northfield Water Co, Gravity system supplied by reservoir, 360,000 gallons capacity located 1.5 miles east of Post Office. Average pressure is 92 lbs. per sq. inch. 5,000' of 6" & 4,200' of 4" cast iron water pipe. 9 hydrants. 1 portable electric pump in reserve.

East Northfield Water Facilities: Water Works owned by the Northfield Seminary. Gravity system supplies by one 750,000 gallon reservoir fed by brook located 1 mile northeast of Post Office. 1 Dean Pump 4x6x10 & 1 Triplex electric pump in reserve. Pressure at Seminary grounds is 125 lbs. & 120 lbs. on Highland Ave. 19 hydrants.
(source: Sanborn Map Co. August 1922)

1927

The first piece of motorized fire equipment for the Northfield Fire Department was delivered in 1927. This was a Sanford Chemical truck.

1928

In 1928 a new station was built for the fire apparatus and for the firefighters to hold meetings. This building still stands today and is now home to the Northfield Boy Scouts.

1931 The Sanford truck is totaled due to a rollover on the way to a call in 1930. Tragically this was the day that we lost firefighter Donald Williams to injuries from the accident. He was the only firefighter to die in the line of duty in our departments history. The department soon acquired a Buffalo pumper in 1931. This was a 1931 Buffalo that would serve the department for over 30 years. It was sold and eventually bought back by our department and restored in time for our 100th celebration in 2004. 
1933
new

Northfield Fire Department consisted of: 1 chief, 2 assistant chiefs and 13 call men, paid for actual services. The department is partly motorized. 1 Buffalo combination 600 gallon per minute pumper, with 1,500 feet of 2.5 " hose and 300 feet of 1.5" hose. # hand hose reels and 1 hand ladder wagon.

Water Facilities: Owned by Northfield Water Co. Source of supply, brooks. Gravity pressure system. 1 reservoir, capacity 360,000 gallons, located 1.5 miles east of Town Hall. 6,500' of 6", and 4,800' of 4" mains. 10 hydrants. Pressure on Main St. is 84 lbs.

East Northfield Water Facilities: Owned by the Northfield Schools, Inc. Source of supply, brooks. Gravity pressure system. 1 reservoir with a capacity of 750,000 gallons, located about 1 mile northeast of Post Office. 1 Worthington centrifugal pump, capacity 125-150 gallons per minute. 1 triplex electric pump in reserve. About 3.5 miles of 6" and 8" mains. 26 hydrants. Pressure at farm buildings, Winchester Road is 120 lbs.
(source: Sanborn Map Co. August 1933)

1939

A 1935 Ford dump truck was converted into a fire truck by R.O. and R.K. Leach for the department, for use in fighting forest/grass fires.

1940 In 1940 the Center Street School burned which is located on the site of our current fire station. The fire was a complete loss but good fire fighting  kept it from spreading to the next door Bronson Inn. Skipping ahead in time, that Inn known today as The Beehive suffered a fire of its own. Firefighters from Northfield and several other towns were able to control the blaze which at one point seemed to be a doomed structure. 
1944 The first boat is added as apparatus for the department.
1954

In 1954 the need for a more modern fire truck was recognized. Bids were opened and awarded to The Maxim Motor Company out of Middleboro, MA.

1955

On January 1, 1955, the new fire truck was purchased and delivered to Northfield. The department spent time learning the operation of this new truck which was different from equipment they had used before.

On February 3, 1955, the first meeting was held at the new fire station where we are still located today. The citizens of Northfield were invited to an open house of the new building and for a demonstration of the new Maxim.
1956 On July 1, 1956, the first radios for communication were in operation in Northfield. This consisted of a home base radio at the station, portable units mounted in the fire trucks and three portable radios. We could now communicate with each other at fire scenes, communicate with the fire wardens in the state fire towers and with other towns within the tri-state mutual aid area.
1961 On a bitterly cold -30 degrees  January morning in 1961 over 100 firefighters from several towns fought one of Northfield's worst fires, The Podlenski barn fire on Main street. The fire caused by a milkroom oil stove caused the death of 50 cattle and 100,000 in damages.
1904 - Albert W. Meade 1952 - '53 Dwight P. Stearns
1918 -   1954 - '56 Floyd M. Dunnell, Jr.
1925 - '26 James W. Alger 1957 Gardiner R. Hudson
1927 George N. Kidder 1958 - '61 Floyd M. Dunnell, Jr.
1928 - '37 Galen G. Stearns 1962 - '70 Howard E. Williams
1938 - '39 Willis K. Parker 1970 - '76 Clesson M. Field
1940 Verne C. Ware 1976 - present Floyd M. "Skip" Dunnell, III
1941 - '51 Charles L. Johnson    



Click on the links to view the article image in a new window.
NOTE: If you cannot easily read the text, your computer has scaled the image
down to fit your screen.
Click here for instructions on how to fix it.

1904 - Northfield Hose Company Expense Report & School Fire Safety
1905 - Expenses for construction of Hose Building was located behind the former Town Hall
1910 - Northfield Hose Company Source: All About Northfield, A.P. Fitt, 1910
1918 - Fire Department Report by Selectman: H.H. Crosier, C.S. Tenney, J.L. Dunnell
1919 - Fire Department Report by Selectman: H.H. Crosier, C.S. Tenney
NO REPORT RECORDED 1920-1924
1925 - Fire Chiefs Report James W. Alger, Chief
1926 - Fire Chiefs Report James W. Alger, Chief
1927 - Fire Chiefs Report George N. Kidder, Chief
1928 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1929 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1930 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1931 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1932 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1933 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1934 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1935 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1936 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1937 - Fire Chiefs Report Galen G. Stearns, Chief
1938 - Fire Chiefs Report Willis K. Parker, Chief
1939 - Fire Chiefs Report Willis K. Parker, Chief
1940 - Fire Chiefs Report Verne C. Ware, Chief
1941 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1942 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1943 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1944 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1945 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1946 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1947 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1948 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1949 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1950 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1951 - Fire Chiefs Report Charles L. Johnson, Chief
1952 - Fire Chiefs Report Dwight P. Stearns, Chief
1953 - Fire Chiefs Report Dwight P. Stearns, Chief
1954 - Fire Chiefs Report Floyd M. Dunnell, Jr., Chief
1955 - Fire Chiefs Report Floyd M. Dunnell, Jr., Chief
1956 - Fire Chiefs Report Floyd M. Dunnell, Jr., Chief
1957 - Fire Chiefs Report Gardiner R. Hudson, Chief
1958 - Fire Chiefs Report Floyd M. Dunnell, Jr., Chief
1959 - Fire Chiefs Report Floyd M. Dunnell, Jr., Chief
1960 - Fire Chiefs Report Floyd M. Dunnell, Jr., Chief
1961 - Fire Chiefs Report Floyd M. Dunnell, Jr., Chief
1962 - Fire Chiefs Report Howard E. Williams, Chief








Click on the links to view the article image in a new window.
NOTE: If you cannot easily read the text, your computer has scaled the image
down to fit your screen.
Click here for instructions on how to fix it.

Crossley Hall Fire, NMH - 1/5/1911
Area Fire Chiefs Photo - 1957
C.J. Walsh Barn Fire - Bernardston - date unknown
Arthur Ward Barn Fire - Gill - date unknown
Hay fire, Lucky Clapp Road - 1959
Podlenski Barn Fire, Northfield - Jan. 1961
      Podlenski #2
      Podlenski #3
Bernardston Brush Fires - April 26, 1962
Bernardston building Fire - April 26, 1962
Northfield's Oldest Home burns - July 10, 1963
School House Fire, West Northfield Road - 1964
Northfield Structure Fire, South Mountain Road - 1964
Explosion in cellar, Beers Plain Road - Nov. 3, 1964
Mount Hermon Science Building Fire - Nov. 20, 1965
      Science Building Fire #2
      Science Building Fire #3
4 building fire, Main Street, Winchester, NH - Jan. 20, 1971
Barn Fire, Vernon, VT - early 1970's
Northfield Barn Fire, Murray Brown residence - early 1970's
Trinitarian Church Fire, Northfield - January 23, 1978
      Trinitarian Church Fire - page 2
New Ladder truck arrival - April 3, 1998

Transformer Fire Shuts Down Vermont Yankee Nuclear Plant - 2004
Firefighters injured in roof collapse - 2008


The following articles are provided by The Springfield Republican.
© The Republican Company. All Rights Reserved. Used With Permission.

Fire devastates Mohawk Plastics - February 6, 1994

Collision victim is from N.H. - November 14, 1994

Driver killed in collision - October 19, 1994

Fire guts Northfield mobile home - October 9, 1994

2 Hurt in Northfield Crash - December 4, 1993

No one hurt in tanker truck explosion - October 6, 1992

Fire that damages garage blamed on water heater - December 22, 1991

Fire crews tackle 2 brush fires - April 8, 1991

Widow, boarder die in Northfield fire- March 29, 1991